Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Birth in a Bus

I got the call to meet one of my ladies at a hospital across town early one morning. She had all the signs of early labor: sporadic contractions, light spotting, she couldn’t sleep much the previous night, etc., etc. It was her first so it could be the beginning of a long labor. Time would tell.
I didn’t think this warranted calling a cab, there was time for the bus, the difference being upwards of $20 for a cab ride or $1.75. Working for a non-profit doula group forces one to take this into consideration, though I wouldn’t have my for-profit birthing center job back for all the tea in China. Yes, the all-yuppie clientele at that earlier job needed a caring staff just as much at their births as the low-income-sometimes-even-homeless ladies I now called clients, but I definitely wanted to stay put where I was.
So I waited for my bus, just showered, wearing a clean outfit, my carpet bag of tricks re-stocked and ready at my side. The adrenaline was building. Even after over 30 years, I still get that tiny rush, I still feel humbled and honored to be able to see a baby take his or her first breath and get to welcome this new little person to our universe.
The bus was later than usual, but I wasn’t anxious at all. I swiped my bus card and walked to an empty seat halfway down the aisle and sat down. The bus lumbered its way through neighborhood after neighborhood, stopping finally for a man in a motor-powered wheelchair. The bus driver lowered the handicap ramp and slowly the wheelchair started to ascend but then stopped. He backed up. He tried again, though he was too far to the left this time. He put his chair in reverse, rolled back down all the way to the sidewalk and shifted gears for another try. He made it that time, finally, boarded the bus, and dug through his pockets for what seemed like an eternity until he finally found his limited mobility bus pass. That done he maneuvered his clunker toward the aisle. The bus driver came down from his perch and secured the wheelchair with the four belts used to bolt down wheelchairs.
We were again on our way. Several stops later an elderly lady got on. She had all the signs of belonging to the local homeless population: reeking of unwashed clothing, shopping cart barely held together with twine and silver duct tape and filled with random secondhand garbage bags, shuffling in with her lace-less sneakers. She dropped a handful of coins into the meter. The driver announced that she still needed to pay one dollar for the fare. He wasn’t going anywhere either until she did, so we sat there as she rummaged first through one pocket, then her cracked vinyl purse, and then through yet another pocket which only produced a couple additional coins.
A few people around me let out long sighs. We were getting equally impatient. The woman in the seat next to me bent her head toward me and said, “I gotta get to work! I can’t be late neither.”
I agreed, “I’ve got a lady in labor, I can’t be all day....”
My seat mate jumped at that at yelled for all to hear, “You got a baby waitin’?”
I whispered back, “Yeah, I’m a doula and I don’t want to miss this birth.”
The lady behind us shouted, “You a midwife?”
I turned and answered, “Well, I was, but I am working as a doula now—”
The lady next to her stood up and yelled at the driver, “Hey man, youz gotta git movin’—this lady’s gotta git to the HOS-PIT-TAL!”
A man across the aisle said loud enough for everyone to hear, “How close are the contractions?”
while another woman addressed me from two seats down, “How many centimeters is she?”
I answered, “Well, I don’t know exactly...” as a whole volley of questions came back at me.
“Is it her first?”
“Does she know if it’s a boy or a girl?”
I finally got up and walked to the front of the bus, dropped in all the coins I could find in my purse and sat back down. Without looking up, poor old lady grabbed her shopping cart and wrestling it down the aisle found a seat and commenced mumbling to no one in particular. The bus started up again as the audience cheered.
At long last we arrived at my stop in front of Hennepin County Medical Center. As I stood up a huge round of applause filled the bus, along with a few whistles and ‘YOU GO GIRLs’.”
I scrubbed at the first hand-washing station I got to in the hallway, and then rubbed some antiseptic hand sanitizer on while I found Leah’s room. I arrived just as things started revving up, which we call “active labor.” We had a beautiful baby boy later that night. I am sure my fan club had been praying for us the whole time.
  
“We have a secret in our culture, it’s not that birth is painful, it’s that women are strong.”
 ~ Laura Stavoe Harm


Stay tuned for my next book in which this chapter will appear: PUSH! The Sequel: 37 More true midwife and doula stories



No comments: