Sunday, October 14, 2018

Welcome to my World of Birth …


…where we often have little or no control, where we are wading into uncharted territory, where the rules might change at any minute, and where brave women (and not-so-brave women) have dared to go for millions of years and succeeded. If they hadn’t we wouldn’t be here today. My own birth journey essentially began with my first baby. The only alternative (read sane) book out there in 1980 was the first edition of Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin. Image result for ina may gaskinI devoured that book. I could do this, I told myself and I did, having my almost 10 pound Abraham in a little birthing room in a hospital before the doctor even made it. We checked out and went home six hours later.


I wanted to do the same thing when I became pregnant again. We knew it was twins before the doctor did. I scheduled my own ultrasound to convince him. The only way I could have them in Minnesota in 1982 was in an operating room after being prepped for surgery. Then they would let me try to have a natural birth--which, obviously, they were terrified of.
I called Ina May for advice, who invited me to The Farm. I moved there for the fall and had a beautiful birth which they filmed and called “Twin Vertex Birth,” which, by the way, has been used recently in the movies “Birth Story” and also “More Business of Being Born”.Image result for ina may gaskin
After the twins we had two more babies, three years apart. They were both unassisted home births, though I had planned to have a midwife both times, but they never made it in time. By the time we had five children I had taken a few courses and began to seriously think about become a midwife. It all came together when I received a fellowship in 1988 to go back to school and received my midwifery license.
Fast forward to 2010. We had just returned to Minnesota after living in England. I would soon turn 60. I did not want to work in a clinic or hospital as a midwife and be assigned two or three or more families per shift and have to learn all of the new electronic monitoring and charting. I did not want to do the boards all over again which could take up to two years to prepare for, so I looked at my credentials and decided I could teach… and then I discovered the birth community here in the Twin Cities and Doulas!
This is my dream job. I don’t have to leave at shift change. I can be a grandma or a surrogate mom to a refugee family who have no one else here. I am already called “Mommy” in the Ethiopian immigrant community. I am honored and humbled that I can still witness birth.
There are over 30 doulas in our group at Everyday Miracles. We have classes in Somali, Spanish, Hmong and English. Yes, my scope of practice has changed. I don’t check dilation or fetal heart rates, but I get to connect with amazing mamas and support them during the most momentous event in the entire universe at that moment, their birth. I am with them as their doula when they go from being a woman to becoming a mother. I am so grateful.Image result for ina may gaskinwith my twins on The Farm, 1982

“Logically, the abnormal cannot be identified without a clear scientific definition of the variations of normal. Obstetrics lacks this because the risk concept implies that all pregnancy and birth is risky and therefore no pregnancy or birth can be considered normal until it is over. In other words, one cannot claim both the ability to separate normal and abnormal during pregnancy and the inability to determine normality until after birth. The wide variation which occurs in the healthy experience of childbirth is too large for a single, uniform definition of ‘normality’, which can be used to define ‘abnormality.’” Marsden Wagner

Stay tuned for more chapters from my books, Ma Doula and PUSH, the Sequel

No comments: